Wednesday, March 4, 2009

My new hero: Johnnie Seale

Every time I drive to Scott's house, I drive very slowly by a beautiful piece of property with 12 (soon to be 25 or so) goats. Mr. Johnnie Seale is usually out feeding or caring for his goats on Lightner Creek Road and I stopped to speak with him at JP Acres last time I drove by.

Johnnie is a retired major league baseball player who sadly lost his very active wife Peppy to cancer five years ago (one year after she retired from teaching at Ft. Lewis College). He raises goats for the local 4-H club, meat, and some milk. He claims they are of the best stock, as he sends away for semen from the best bucks in the country and artificially inseminates his does. All 9 of his does will kid later this spring (one is due mid-March), and they usually produce 2-3 kids.

Since he is home caring for his goats almost all the time, he invited me to stop back by once the mud season is over and the kids start arriving. I can't wait, and I'm hoping to learn a lot by spending some time with Johnnie.

On a side note, I just found the Dairy Goat Journal that I might be subscribing to soon. It looks like my kind of reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment