Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Spring Shirt

Kitty Kitty Boom Boom is rearing its cute little head from the grave again: I used some fabric I got there for a spring shirt, probably the single best thing I have ever sewn.

I have been known to be a "gorilla seamstress" as my roommate likes to call it; sewing things to get them done as quickly as possible, without taking a lot of time and being impatient to see the end results. However, on this one, I took my time.

I ironed. I pinned. I clipped loose thread. But most of all, I experimented.

Amazingly enough, I didn't have a real pattern- kind of just winged it based on a shirt in a catalog (that I can't afford to buy), and a few hand-me-down shirts. I did create a rough pattern (at left) out of handy-dandy brown paper bag, and made it a bit bigger to allow for later tweaks.

Bias tape make the seems look nicer. Here is how to do it.

Zipper practice makes perfect- I'm finally getting better at this. Experimentation with a white band below the bust and spending time on the finishing touches was a big help- making sure the hem for both front and back lined up and ironing it before sewing it, and darting the bias tap into place on the arm and neck corners. I even put in a "tag" that is some strategically- colored ribbon that you can hang up the shirt on.


It is supposed to snow here tonight, but I'm well prepared for when the weather takes a turn for the warmer. I don't want to be caught out in the spring weather without the right gear (that would be super embarrassing in Durango).

In the meantime, I'm looking longingly forward to sunshine and warmer times, as seen here in the glamor shot at left.

1 comment:

  1. You're definitely a good seamstress! How long did it take you to make?

    ReplyDelete