Wednesday, February 18, 2009

RIP Kitty Kitty Boom Boom

Doing business in Durango is tough. Small town politics, a waxing and waning tourist season, and the draw for better opportunity has quelled many an entrepreneurial fire in this town (not to mention big box store and WalMart invasion). Such has been the fate of Kitty Kitty Boom Boom (KKBB), a fabulously flouncy fabric store.

What does this have to do with this writer's quest for goat amigos? Well, nothing, but I'm sad this store is gone, I like to sew (which will come in handy when I am more self-sufficient on a farm) and so I've dedicated this blog to them.

In fact, I'm making a skirt RIGHT NOW with delicious fabric from this place (I want to eat it like a goat would). Here is my step-by-step experience with making a simple skirt:


1. You'll need:

This is the fun part if you like color. I purchased a yard of fabric with a quarter yard of trim, matching thread, a 7" zipper, a paper bag (for making the pattern) and a set of eye hooks.

2. Measure the future wearer


My waist measures 32" so I made the waist of the pattern 17 inches wide (allowing 1/2 for seam allowance on each side) with the bottom tapering to 23 inches wide. I make the pattern first so I can make absolutely sure it is the right size before I cut the fabric, even going so far as to hold up the paper bag skirt to myself to make sure it is going more than halfway around me.

3. Cut. It. Out.

Fold your fabric in half and pin your pattern on (this will make both front and back). Pin the trim on the bottom, allowing for ½ seam allowance.

There is no going back now- cut it! Watch out for the cat's tail (this one is always campaigning for attention- Kitty Kitty Boom Boom apropos).


4. Get Your Sew On:

Put right sides together (the side you want to show on the outside) and sew the trim on the bottom of both pieces using a ½ inch seam. Then, pin the two right sides together and completely sew one side. The other side will be zipper side.

5. Zip Code:

The zipper is the hardest part. I'm usually scared of putting in zippers, but I'm going to take one for KKBB. I watched the middle section of this YouTube video and it helped me get up my gumption for the job.

Just remember to place the zipper head about 1½ inches from the top for the waist of the skirt- you’ll want to fold it over twice and sew to finish the top waist line once you’ve installed the zipper


6. Last and Largely Least:

I put a small hook and eye on the either side of the top of the zipper to assure closure. Especially after a pig-out at my favorite local restaurant: Zia Taqueria-their gigantic fish burritos are sure to cause a bulge, and judging by the length of their line at the counter during feeding time, they will not go the way of KKBB anytime soon.

Finished Skirt:



2 comments:

  1. Wonderful bright new skirt - perks up my day. And love the shooz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was sad too when KKBB left town. I scored a bunch of fabric though and went sewing crazy! A new duvet, gigantor dog bed and a tablecloth. As you can see, I prefer to sew things that have 4 straight edges. Button holes are my nemesis.
    LG

    ReplyDelete