Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Blah, Blah, Blog

It seems to me that there must be a lot of cyber garbage out there. Meaning poorly written or designed blogs, web sites, and out of date information that no one gets any use out of. For instance this blog. Who would find any use in a blog about my compulsive goat fetish?

I never thought I'd write a blog. I didn't really have anything to write about. But then all of a sudden I had a lot to say. And now I can't stop writing.

So where does it all go? Are we polluting our servers and inundating our DSL lines? What information SHOULD be shared, and what shouldn't? And what can we define as "art"?

There is a recent blog by Daniel Tunkelang on the Noisy Channel that discusses cyber pollution. Many blogs I read, including this one, mostly cite junk e-mail as the biggest pollution factor. But I'd like to take the definition in this article (as follows) a step further:

Cyber Pollution: the waste of time and energy created by the inconsiderate use of commercial and personal electronic communication.

I would consider this to include out-of-date websites, irrelavent blogs, and expired documents.

So you could say I'm self-defined "trash".

However, in thinking about this pollution issue, I'm going to turn over a new leaf as a Marketing and Sales Manager for a software company: I'm going to do my part to fight unsolicited e-mails (including the ones I send out) and encourage our web manager to clean up an update the out-of-date portions of our website (that means YOU Aaron).

I'm NOT going to stop blogging though (you wish). I've got too many unsolicited, irrelevant, and out-dated thoughts going through my brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment