Saturday, June 27, 2009

Waiting in the Weeds

Now is the time of summer when everything is planted and the only work that needs to be done is weeding. Sure, there is the fertilizing, or adding iron for plants looking yellow, but mostly it is wait n' weed.

While I wait, I'm reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.

Big mistake.

I don't think I've ever been this impatient to produce 10 tons of zucchini before. It is just that Kingsolver makes everything sound so GOOD. The recipes are killing me. I know that I'll be knee deep in beans and tomatoes in the very near future, but I can't wait to try her peach chutney and sweet and sour sauce recipes.

Rather on focusing on what is not yet there, here is a report on Scott's corn experiment:

It isn't there yet. Unlike the peas at left, which are producing like crazy.

Out of 50 corn seeds planted, only about 4 have come up- one from the 18" deep planting, and the rest from the 6" planting. I'm still holding out for more to pop up, but they certainly will not be knee high by the 4th of July.

The rest of the garden, save the peppers, are thriving. I think it is too rainy and not hot enough for them. They do show signs of a little bit of new green growth, but no flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment