Monday, November 23, 2009

Chicken Shizak

Officially, we are ready to be chicken owners. Now that it is legal for us to have them in town and our landlady is on board, we are getting two hens after Thanksgiving.

The plan is a wire-covered outdoor pen (to protect from predators, escapees, and our un-poultry-acclimated dogs) and a straw bale insulated coop.

I am such a wanna-be farmer. Look at our cars- we had three bales INSIDE and three on top. Each.

And, since I am all about renewable power and saving the world, we made it a passive solar chicken coop. Yep, urban yuppie pretender. Also, everything but the straw is recycled, reclaimed materials. Farm-happy hipster. Hokey yokel quack (or should I say cluck).

All I know is that they will be warm and cozy, and we even installed "wing" vents on the side that open to make sure we don't cook 'em.

You can't tell me this is a passing fad or that I'm crazy for being crazy for chickens. Check out This American Life this week: Poultry Slam 2008.

Or this other weirdo chicken freak in Durango.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, if you want some good and well-presented information about chickens, check this out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL_-1d9O

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I just bought ducks and chickens and am looking for a affordable to house them. I already strawbale garden so why no strawbale chickens...great job

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it, but I am wondering how you plan on cleaning it?
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunny-Side-Up-Coops/234738163293821

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a great design. I have been looking for strawbale coops. Can you please post an update and how it worked out in the winter? valjaquith @ gmail

    ReplyDelete