Monday, April 20, 2009

Learning More Glass

This weekend travels brought me to my mom's house, where she and my sister shared the expense of a glass kiln and buco glass supplies. I wanted to make more pieces that I could work on with stained glass, but found that this media was fun in and of itself.

Several pieces of glass were fused in the kiln. They needed to overlap enough to be stable once they "melted" into each other.

The kiln had to be prepped with paper between stone and anything glass.

This piece needed to hang, so I used a piece of fiber that was resistant to high temperatures placed between two pieces of glass to create a "tunnel" to run a string through for hanging.



The firing took about 8 hours through a cycle of super hot and then it needed to cool to room temperature slowly so it wouldn't crack the glass.

Patience pays...

No comments:

Post a Comment